The Barnabas Teaching School Alliance: beginning a new chapter together
In March 2016 we received news that our application to the National College for School Leadership (NCSL) to become a Teaching School has been successful. This makes us the third Teaching School in Herefordshire along with Hereteach (Wigmore Secondary) and Marlbrook Primary. Our aim is to work collaboratively with them to encourage and inspire leaders, teachers, teaching assistants and student teachers for the benefit of all children and young people in Herefordshire, in the Diocese of Hereford and beyond.
Our application focussed on particular areas:
- the strengths and challenges of being a 'smaller school' with mixed year groups
- the freedom to 'break out of boxes' in relation to assessment, the curriculum, subjects within the curriculum and planning; putting professional integrity, intuition and instinct first
- the importance of a broad curriculum where the joy, confidence-building and skills engendered by the non-core subjects impact on English and mathematics
- the importance of 'opening our eyes' to a bigger world
- the distinctive role of a faith school and the importance of positive values and relationships in all schools
- the value of learning together with colleagues in more urban areas especially in terms of provision for our most vulnerable children
- the skills, subject knowledge and inspiration of a fantastic teacher
We shall be looking to how we can explore these and other areas further through subject networks, professional training, the role of Specialist Leaders of Education (SLEs), the NQT training programme, initial teacher training programmes, research and development etc.
Please let us know:
- if you think we might be able to help you in disseminating your good practice and ideas
- if you have identified areas that you think we could improve together as become increasingly effective and efficient schools: